Listing every single thing that the three Service Aid Societies do to support servicemembers and their families would be quite lengthy. Instead, here are some highlights and things you may not know, but should.
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS)
- NMCRS is the oldest of the three aid societies. They were created in 1904 with proceeds from the 1903 Army-Navy game. In 1904, the NMCRS gave $9,500 to widows and families of enlisted men. Read more about their history here.
- Besides offering financial assistance through loans and grants, NMCRS offers financial education and counseling. With over 4,000 volunteers serving Sailors, Marines, and their families, that is a lot of support. Their volunteers make up over 90% of their workforce. Let’s hear it for the volunteers!
- NMCRS responds to current emerging needs. During the hurricane evacuations and the aftermath, they stepped up to the plate and aided those in need (and still are).
Army Emergency Relief (AER)
- Both AER and the Air Force Aid Society were created in 1942 (about two weeks apart). They are both celebrating 75 years of service in 2017. In 2016 alone, AER provided over 41K soldiers and families over $61M in assistance. In 2016, they shared this great throwback video on YouTube.
- AER also provides scholarships for military spouses and children. In 2016, AER provided $8.6M in scholarships. Find out more about scholarships and all their programs here.
- AER also responds to emergency needs for those affected by the wildfires in California and those in Puerto Rico, and more. Fort Buchanan’s AER office is up and running and taking calls to provide assistance in Puerto Rico for active duty and retired members. Stay safe PR! For more info click here.
Air Force Aid Society (AFAS)
- Celebrating their 75 years of service, AFAS shared this fantastic anniversary video on YouTube. Created by Hap Arnold in 1942, AFAS is actually older than the Air Force (which was officially created in 1947) and has been supporting airmen and their families for generations.
- The AFAS’ community enhancement programs are a staple at Air Force bases all over the globe. From the Bundles for Babies program, which helps new parents learn to deal with the parenting and financial challenges that come with a new baby, to several child care programs – they have so much to offer.
- Hurricane recovery support is in full swing at AFAS as it responds to the emergent requests and needs of the families affected in these areas.
At AMBA, we are pleased to support these great organizations with donations each year. NMCRS, AER and AFAS provide our servicemen and women and their families financial support, education, information, counseling and assistance that would not be possible without them. Thank you, NMCRS, AER and AFAS for all you do, and we will continue to do what we can to support you.
To learn more or donate, please visit:
2017 Charitable Donation Presentations